Ready to Join the Fun?
To join Northumbria Advanced Motorycyclists, you must:
- hold a full motorcycle licence
- book an Institute of Advanced Motorists (IAM) Roadsmart Course (£149*) or be a full IAM member.
The IAM Roadsmart package includes course material, test fee and first year memberships of both IAM and Northumbria Advanced Motorcyclists.
Once enrolled, you will be allocated to a local Observer. Your Observer will provide 1:1 coaching until you are ready to take your Advanced road test. As your Observer is a volunteer, you are asked to contribute £15 per session towards fuel and 'wear and tear'.
We offer free, no-obligation 'taster' rides. Contact us to book your assessment or join us at one of our monthly meetings to discuss further.
Joining Northumbria Advanced Motorcyclists and the IAM is easy.
- Purchase the IAM Advanced Rider Course. When prompted to select a group, enter Northumbria Advanced Motorcyclists (group number 4245). 12-month membership of both IAM and Northumbria Advanced Motorcyclists is included. An Advanced Rider Course handbook will be sent to you.
- Our Membership Secretary will contact you to welcome you to the club and to invite you to our social events.
- Our Training Team Administrator will contact you to discuss your riding history. He will assign you to one of our Observers so that progres towards your Advanced test can begin. In the meantime, read our Briefing Notes for New Associates.
|Social Member||Associate Member||Full Member|
|£Free||included with IAM Roadsmart||only £20|
|Associate ride outs|
|Senior ride outs|
|Classroom training & workshops|
|Eligible for Observer training|
Advanced riding is not about riding slowly or 'stunts'. It is about greater skill, control, forward planning and fun.
By taking an IAM Roadsmart Advanced test, you will learn to ride using the system taught to Police motorcyclists. You will raise your own riding standard and enjoyment and learn how to get the best from yourself and your machine:
- total control, all of the time
- confident cornering
- quick, efficient and safe overtaking
- anticipating other road users' mistakes
- progressive riding to the conditions
If you have passed your driving standards agency (DSA) test and are looking to continue your development to become a safer rider, the answer is yes!
It doesn't matter if you passed your test years ago and have plenty of road experience, or if you are a relatively new to riding (and haven't yet picked up bad habits!). Wherever you are on your journey, we will work with you, at your pace, to help you become a safer rider and to maximise your enjoyment of riding.
The Training Administrator will allocate you to an Observer who will accompany you on your journey to becoming an Advanced Rider. Training takes the form of one-to-one, observed rides. Your Observer will accompany you on several rides so that he or she can give you pointers and advice, building up your skills until you are ready to put yourself forward for the IAM Roadsmart test.
Your Observer will usually talk over an aspect of your IAM Roadsmart course handbook and will select routes which provide opportunities to practice the skills discussed. You will be invited to classroom sessions and bike skills sessions. You will also be able to join other members on our monthly Associate ride-outs. These is an ideal opportunity to meet other members and to discuss aspects of advanced road riding.